When is WA police going Digital

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Diesel

When is WA police going Digital

Post by Diesel »

Hi, can anyone tell me or have any idea when the Police service will be going digital, as I want to buy a scanner and no point in spending money on one if the police goes digital and I have a analogue scanner. If they go digital soon any suggestions on a good model of scanner to purchase?

Regards
Diesel[/b]
Tyson

Post by Tyson »

Year 2007 So You Have A Good Year Of Scanning the Police Mind You there will Be a uniden digital scanner being realease pretty soon :)
Tyson.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Tyson wrote:Year 2007 So You Have A Good Year Of Scanning the Police Mind You there will Be a uniden digital scanner being realease pretty soon :)
A word of caution, though. A digital scanner may work initially but the police are keen on going to digital and encrypting. Despite what some people are saying, decoding encrypted transmssions won't be a case of running some program on your computer or changing the scanner firmware and you can hear it again...

If they go to encrypted digital, it will be immune from scanning.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Nov 2007 I'm told.

I've asked this question to my brother-in-law who funnily enough works at Uniden as a rep.

I know somebody was selling Uniden digital scanners imported from the US a month back for about $899.

Will let you know what his answer is.

Tom
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

I don't wanna piss anyone off here, but here is the Uniden scanner that is being talked about.

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/default.a ... openmenu=6

Retails for about $899. Uniden BCD396T Digital Scanner.

I think this is the US model which is a different spec to the Australian version due for release later in the year.

I'll be grabbing myself one.

Tom
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

So what does that mean, we wont be able to listen to them no more once they are digital and encrypted??? JG103 :P
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

JG-103 wrote:So what does that mean, we wont be able to listen to them no more once they are digital and encrypted??? JG103 :P
That's right.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

:x Spewin!!! JG103 :P
Glen
150+ posts
150+ posts

Its old but good

Post by Glen »

Western Australian Police Sign US$28 Million Contract with Motorola for ASTRO® 25 Digital Radio Network

PERTH, Western Australia, 28 June 2005 - Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT) announced today that the Western Australian Police has selected a Motorola ASTRO® 25 digital trunked radio network to bring its communications into the 21stcentury.

WA Police has signed a $28 million contract with Motorola for the network, which will cover more than 30 sites. The contract also includes the supply portable, mobile and fixed ASTRO® 25 digital radio terminals and MW850 mobile computing devices.

Western Australia Police Commissioner Karl O’Callaghan said the network, to be operational for front line police operations by early 2007, would deliver secure, effective voice radio and mobile data communications, expanding voice radio coverage to 9000 square kilometers.

The network will be seamlessly integrated with a Motorola Premier CADTM (Computer Aided Dispatch) system which was installed for the WA Police in 2004. The mobile computing devices will enable police vehicles to be seamlessly connected to Motorola’s messaging switch, providing computer dispatch, data base enquiry and automatic vehicle location services.

“The new mobile data facility and automatic vehicle location server will enable police to be dispatched more effectively to incidents and emergencies while important radio communications will be encrypted to help prevent interception by organised crime or disruption by terrorists,” Mr. O’Callaghan said.

The Motorola network will provide:

* Improved radio coverage to the broader Perth metropolitan area
* Relief from radio frequency congestion via the combination of increased capacity and private trunked networking, allowing for more users, more calls, and more information to be transferred
* Increased security with leading-edge encryption algorithms to keep voice and data transmissions confidential
* Significantly greater reliability and availability due the Motorola’s IP network technology
* Interoperability with other Project 25 and Police networks, so the WA Police can communicate with other WA Government departments, Federal Policing agencies and other State Police forces as required:
* Compliance with a key global standard for public safety communications (APCO Project 25) which in turn supports backward compatibility
* Simplified transition as the new radios will be able to operate on the existing analogue network during the construction phase

Spiros Nikolakopoulos, Managing Director, Government and Enterprise Mobility Solutions, Australia & New Zealand, who signed the contract on behalf of Motorola, said the project would further build on Motorola’s 20-year relationship with the WA Police, greatly enhancing front line policing capabilities for the force.

About Motorola
Motorola is a Fortune 100 global communications leader that provides seamless mobility products and solutions across broadband, embedded systems and wireless networks. In your home, auto, workplace and all spaces in between, seamless mobility means you can reach the people, things and information you need, anywhere, anytime. Seamless mobility harnesses the power of technology convergence and enables smarter, faster, cost-effective and flexible communication. Motorola had sales of US $31.3 billion in 2004. For more information: www.motorola.com

# # #

Media Contact:
Russell Grimmer
Motorola Communications and Public Affairs
Pacific Division
Motorola, Inc.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Its old but good

Post by vk6hgr »

Glen wrote:while important radio communications will be encrypted to help prevent interception by organised crime or disruption by terrorists
Sorry, but by making a system more complex, you make it easier to disrupt.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
hoiden

Post by hoiden »

i wouldnt hold your breath about set dates for its completion. last time they tried changing to digital they ran out of money. plan aborted. See what happens
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Something I noticed on WAPOL media release regarding the Radio Comms upgrade.

Page 6 of this link

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/MediaandPub ... yJun05.pdf
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Something weird is going on, while looking through some frequencies in the ACMA database tonight, I came across a whole heap of new WAPOL registrations, quite a large number only effective from the 19th of December 2005. Around 502-504mhz sitting on the top of Central Park in the city. There's about 10 of them from memory.

Also a few other odd bits and pieces around the place, one of them on the STW9 mast in Walliston.

Hmm, speculation :)